Families have been placing their trust in us for generations. We have always made outstanding service our #1 priority and are honored to serve you since 1930.
Speck Funeral Home
In 1930, Ira M. Speck began working for Blount Funeral Home as an ambulance driver. Mr. Speck began to assist Mr. Blount in other areas of funeral service, thus creating an interest in becoming a Funeral Director and Embalmer.
Another funeral home in Livingston, the Ridley Funeral Home was purchased in 1940 by Shirley, Frank, Ira and Vera Hyder Speck. During this time Shirley and Frank Speck were also owners of Speck Brothers hardware in Livingston, Tenn. Later Verlin and Hollis Hyder (brothers to Vera Speck) bought Shirley and Frank Speck’s part of the funeral home changing the name to Speck-Hyder Funeral Home. Later, Hollis Hyder sold his share to the other partners. The firm was known as Speck-Hyder Funeral Home for many years. It was also during this time that Overton County Memorial Gardens was founded by Verlin Hyder Sr. and Ira M. Speck.
Verlin Hyder, Sr. passed away September 28, 1973. His wife Hazel Ledbetter Hyder, and their son Verlin Hyder Jr. continued to assist in operating the funeral home until 1976. At this time the partnership ended, and again the funeral home became known as the Speck Funeral Home.
In April of 1974, J. David Parsons began his career at Speck Funeral Home. David married Lesa Sidwell, daughter of the late Joan Speck Brown and the granddaughter of Ira and Vera Hyder Speck. In January of 1977, Grover C. Brown, Exec. Vice President and employee of Union Bank and Trust company for 21 years, purchased half interest in Speck Funeral Home. Mr. Brown was married to the late Joan Speck, the daughter of Ira and Vera Hyder Speck.
In June of 2001, a Speck cousin began his career at Speck Funeral Home, Chris Speck. Chris is a 2003 graduate of John A. Gupton College of Mortuary Science. In August of 2014 Chris along with his wife Wendy became owners of Speck Funeral Home. Our goal along with the rest of the staff at Speck Funeral Home is to continue providing the excellent service with the highest integrity to the families of Overton County.
Livingston Funeral Home
In September of 1964, John G. Smith & Jim K. Smith desired to become acquainted with all the people of Overton County. This let them to start the Smith Funeral Home on the corner of Daugherty & Cedar Street in Livingston Tennessee, known as the old J. A. Hargrove home place. John & Jim Smith and their family served the people of Overton County in Funeral Service and as one of the local Ambulance Services for ten years.
In 1974 Harold M. Maynord purchased half interest in the Smith Funeral Home renaming it to the Livingston Funeral Home. Harold went on to purchase the remaining interest in the next twelve years. In 1986 Greg & Laura Brown purchased the Livingston Funeral Home.
For the next 29 years they owned and operated the Livingston Funeral Home. In that time they started the Brown Funeral Chapel in Byrdstown, TN.
In September of 2015, Chris & Wendy Speck, owners of Speck Funeral Home in Livingston, purchased the Livingston Funeral Home from Greg & Laura Brown. Chris & Wendy along with the staff of Speck Funeral Home look forward to continue serving the families, that have placed their trust in the Livingston Funeral Home for the past 53 years.