What Is prearrangement?
Prearrangement is simply planning a funeral service before the need arises. Sometimes it is done years beforehand, sometimes weeks or days.
Some people plan details of the funeral service and select the funeral merchandise, while others simply want to make sure their funeral services are taken care of financially. At Speck Funeral Home, 100 percent of all funds are placed in an irrevocalbe trust fund. Monies are only available at the time of death.
We will record your preferences about the type of service (speakers, music and more), casket and vault types and other important information. Speck Funeral Home will keep a copy of this record on file and will give you a copy to share with your loved ones.
Do I Prepay For My Funeral Expenses?
You do not have to pay in advance. You may only want to record
your wishes and have us keep them on file. You may, however, find
it reassuring to prepay. This relieves family members of the added
financial burden. Paying in advance also assures those in a nursing
home that funds will be available long after other funds are depleted.
It will help preserve Medicaid and SSI eligibility. Some people even
use their life insurance benefits to cover the cost of a funeral.
Who Needs to Prearrange and Why?
- People who are entering a nursing home or other facility and need
to qualify for Medicaid or SSI. In most cases monies put in an
irrevocable funeral trust are not included as an asset.
- People who have no immediate family to take care of arrangements.
- People who have definite preferences concerning their wishes.
- People who use preplanning as a part of estate planning.
- People who want to relieve their family from emotional or financial
What Are My Options?
- Select services and merchandise and pay that amount.
- Select services and merchandise and let your family or your
life insurance policy pay the cost at the time of death.
- Put a specified amount into a irrevocable funeral trust fund
and let your family select the services and merchandise at the
time of death.
- Make monthly payments into a irrevocable funeral trust fund
or life insurance policy.
What If I Move To Another City?
Your preferences can be transferred to another funeral home.
If funds were placed in an irrevocable trust, they normally will
be paid to the funeral home providing the services at the request
of the family.
How Do I Do This?
Call Speck Funeral Home today and we'll arrange an appointment,
or we can come to your home or place of business at your convenience.
It is important for families not to overplan or make impractical
requests. Use general ideas that can be adapted to best suit
your family's particular needs. This kind of input will help
make the funeral more meaningful.